Spring break is a time for relaxing with the family and enjoying a little time off from the regular routine, but sometimes it’s also a time for bored children. When their normal routine is altered, some kids (especially younger children) have a difficult time adjusting and keeping themselves occupied. Cries of, “I’m bored” can ruin an otherwise relaxing day.
It’s a good idea to plan ahead so that you can prevent this boredom before it even occurs. This doesn’t mean you cannot relax and enjoy the holiday week yourself but creating a plan for when the kids need something to do will help prevent stress. It also makes it easier for you to plan some time to spend with them. This is time you might not otherwise have when everyone is going to work and school. We have compiled a list of ideas you can use to help with this.
Here are 10 great Spring Break activities you can do with children:
- Get crafty – You can go to Pinterest and find no end to the great craft ideas. Look for some your children can do independently and some you can do together as a great way to bond while also passing the time.
- Movie marathon – Pull out your favorite movies, rent some, or log into Netflix and enjoy a movie marathon. You can prepare for the event by baking treats or popping popcorn.
- Get pampered – Host a spa party at your own home. Get the kids involved in manicures and pedicures, soaking in a relaxing tub, and other spa adventures to help relax for Spring Break.
- Get cultured – What kinds of museums and historical sites are in your area? This is a great time to get out and visit and learn a bit about your area.
- Help the community – Another great idea for Spring Break is to organize a community reach event. Look for ways you can volunteer with local organizations or get together with friends or neighbors and create your own community project.
- Take a hike – With the Spring weather, it’s also a great idea to get out and meet up with Mother Nature. You could go for a walk, ride bikes together, or enjoy a nature hike.
- Host a gaming party – This is great when you want some indoor fun. You could host a board game or video game party and let your children invite their friends. You might even turn it into a tournament or some other competition.
- Scavenger hunt – This can be done indoors if the weather is bad but is the most fun outdoors. Tailor your scavenger hunt to the ages of the kids playing and then spend time creating fun clues that they will need to follow.
- PJ Party – Another fun idea is a sleepover or pajama party playdate. You can let the kids build blanket forts in the living room and stay in their jammies all day if they want. It’s loads of fun.
- Get cooking – This is also a great time to get into the kitchen and teach your children to cook or bake. You can make up some of your favorite recipes together. It’s a good time for teaching because you may not be able to do this during a busy week when you just need to get dinner on the table. The holiday gives you time to explore.
With these ten great ideas, you won’t have to worry about spring break activities with children or anyone whining that they are bored.
Are there any activities that we missed that you love to do on Spring Break? Let us know in the comments!