It’s the magic question – what to do when you’re bored. We’ve all been there at some point. You might be at home, on the bus or sitting in the waiting room for a doctor’s appointment or meeting when boredom strikes. Many people begin to feel anxious and fidgety when they’re bored, especially when you’re stuck somewhere waiting and you have a million other things to do. You may begin to feel like you’re wasting time even when you’re waiting for something important.
Due to technology use among millennials and the fast-paced world we live in today, some people start to experience anxiety when they are bored. To help ease these feelings of anxiety, you need something to do. There are both positive and negative ways to occupy your time. Sometimes whether something is a good use of time or a poor use of time can vary from person to person. It’s all part of understanding your own personality and what works for you. That said, let’s look at a few ideas that might help you when boredom strikes.
Here are six things to do when you’re bored:
- Watch your favorite TV show on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon – whichever service you have. With a Smartphone or tablet and a good set of earphones, you can enjoy your show wherever you are without disturbing anyone else. This makes a great pastime while commuting on the bus, or something to do to wind down before bed.
- Play video games. Millennials love video games but most of us don’t have as much time as we’d like to play. Most adults have little time to sit around playing video games so it’s a great way to pass the time at home when you’re feeling bored. Also, there are more mobile games than ever before so maybe you’ll find something you like to play on your cell.
- Take a nap. If you’re like most people, you can always use a little more sleep. Take advantage of free time when you don’t have anything else to do and get some much needed rest.
- Read a good book. Yes, people still do this (or at least they should). This is something you can do anywhere so always carry a book around with you wherever you go. This way if you find yourself in a situation where you’re bored, you have a great way to pass a little time.
- Turn up the music. If at home or somewhere that you won’t disturb others, sing along or get up and dance around a bit. It will break the boredom and dancing is good exercise.
- Go for a walk or work out. Both will help clear your mind and focus your thoughts and it’s a great way to stay in shape.
Even if you live a busy life where something seems to always be going on, there will still be times when you’re feeling a little bored. When that happens, instead of sitting around wishing you had something to do, try one of the tips above to help eliminate boredom and make the best use of your free time.
At the end of the day, however, remember that boredom has a purpose. We should not try to stave off boredom at all costs. In fact, when we feel bored, we should assess the situation and try to determine why we’re bored and what can be done about it. Boredom does serve a purpose in our lives and in this fast-paced, always-on world in which we live, taking a little time to allow yourself to be bored once in a while. See if that boredom lends itself to creativity. See where that creativity takes you. You might be pleasantly surprised.
What do you do when you’re bored? Let us know in the comments!